Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday #27


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!


This weeks topic is...

Top Ten Books I'm Not Sure I Want To Read

The majority of these I already own but I'm on the fence about for one reason or another. But just so that I don't get repetitive I'm going to group them up when they fall into a similar category. On with the books!

***

Normally I have a very strict rule for myself. I do not watch a movie/TV show unless I have read the book ahead of time. If it just so happens to be a series of books then I also make sure that I've read the entire series because I've been burned before. I thought to myself it'd be okay to watch the first movie when it was released having only read the first book in the series. Wrong. "Hi spoiler. Nice to meet you. I'm a genius." luckily it was something I had already assumed to be the case so it wasn't too bad. It still would have been nice to be surprised when I read it. Oh well. Anyway. My point is that these first 3 books are TV shows that I love to death and I'm afraid to read the books that they're based off of because I'm afraid they won't live up to what I watch every week.


by Charlaine Harris

When it comes to the show True Blood I am one of those who have been and will be #TrueToTheEnd (omg did I really just hashtag that in a blog post...) It's one of my biggest guilty pleasures and I don't know what I'm gonna do once the final episode ends, which is just around the corner. I've heard so many mixed things about the books that it makes me nervous to even think about starting it. But I'm sure, eventually, I will. Maybe...

by L.J. Smith

I have 2 of the combo books that I won last year sometime so I actually have books 1-4. I've heard the books are quite a bit different from the series. Maybe that's good, maybe that's bad. I don't know, I just know love the show so I'm afraid I won't end up liking the books.

by Melissa de la Cruz

I binge watched the first season a few weeks ago and I am so hooked. But I find myself dying to know more. Highly impatient. Is this person good or bad? Will something ever happen with this other one? All these burning questions. But what if the books are way different from the show? Once again, I'm afraid.

***

The next 3 all have movies that either have been out for a while or  are coming out soon that I'm interested in seeing. The question is though am I interested enough that I want to invest the time in reading the books first? Or do I just simply want to watch the movies? Decisions, decisions.

by Isaac Marion

When I first saw this book I laughed and thought no way in hell. Eventually time passed and I start seeing movie trailers on TV and I thought they seemed sort of funny but still I was going to pass. Zombies just weren't my thing. And then my teenager roped me into trying The Walking Dead with him one day. Surprise, surprise...I loved it. So I bought the book due to my rule mentioned above. I'm still worried, I mean zombie movies/TV shows are one thing but a zombie love story....I just don't know.

by Gayle Forman

Every time I turn on the TV I see the trailer for this movie and it looks SO. GOOD. I'm afraid it's going to make me cry though. It just looks like it yanno? And I've been reading a lot of books lately that made me cry. I'm just being a big chicken. Plus I haven't read a single Gayle Forman book yet and I'm feeling a bit like an outcast. All I know is IF I watch the movie I'll stick to my rule and make myself read the book. *Bites Nails*

by E.L. James

This has always been one of my never, ever, never, never, ever reads. I cringe just thinking about it! But then the other day when the trailer was released online...sigh...I peaked. Holy. Mother. Effing. Crap. I don't know what it was about that elevator kiss scene but I had to wipe a bit of drool after that. No question I will be seeing the movie. The question that IS there is do I dare try to read them first? Hmm...

***

The rest...

by Jasinda Wilder

I actually started this book at one point nearly a year ago or so. And I'm not an ass, what I'm about to talk about isn't a spoiler it says so in the summary I just want to make that clear. But the start of the book we're learning all about this guy who eventually dies. It was getting to me because I really, really started liking him. I turned off my Nook and couldn't go on. Maybe it'd have been better if I hadn't know it was going to happen I'm not really sure. I haven't touched it since because I'm afraid.

by Tahereh Mafi

I've always wanted to read this series. Though, from everything I've ever heard this series starts out great but ends badly. I am so not good with bad endings. I bought it anyway. I can't decide if I'm going to go through with it or not.

by Molly McAdams

Molly McAdams is evil. Plain and simple. I bought this one and another one, From Ashes, a long, long time ago when all I had was a Nook. I was super excited they both sounded good, I'm not one to shy away from love triangles. I embrace them. Then I read From Ashes and though by the end of the book I loved it, all the in between stuff was just one big hot mess. I remember taking off points for mental anguish in my review haha. So basically I'm afraid it will happen again with this one.


And finally a combo for the last one...


by S.C. Stephens

Oh boy. I bought physical copies of this entire series last year sometime. I was super excited to read it, yet nervous because of everything I'd heard about Kiera. I said hell with it a couple months back and gave Thoughtless a shot. Trust me when I say Kiera lives up to every terrible thing you've ever heard about her. Going on to read the next 2 books has me quite literally worried about my health. The first one was a complete mindfuck and with 2 books equally as thick as the first that just can't be a good sign. Kellan might be worth it though. Who knows.

*****

What I learned from this post? First, even though at the start I said I was grouping so I wouldn't be repetitive, I still ended up blabbering on and on. Sorry(NotSorry). And second? I'm afraid of books. Well these at least. Haha. I think nearly every reason behind adding these to my list is fear. Sigh.

Anyway.

What do you think? Are there any of these that you think I should throw caution to the wind and go for even though I'm scared? Or are there any of them that I should run screaming the opposite direction from?

What books are you unsure of for whatever reason?

Follow on Bloglovin

9 comments:

  1. The Warm Bodies film is very different from the film, just as an fyi. The "love story" isn't really what's going on in the book. It's actually a very literary-minded book with a focus on societal commentary, with zombies as a metaphor. (Yes, it is pretentious.) I liked it, actually, but it's not really funny, if that's what you're expecting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely worth reading Shatter Me! :) I actually loved the ending, although I think whether or not you like it might depend on which team (Adam or Warner) you're on.

    Montana @ The Book Belles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED Falling into You and Warm Bodies, I thought Shatter Me was meh and Fifty Shades was 'different'! I feel the same as you about If I Stay, I'm undecided. I may just watch the movie and then see if I want to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved If I Stay! Umm yes, it'll make you cry. I sobbed. But. It was really good. I'm super excited for the movie. :) I've never touched the vampire diaries books because I loved the show so much! (although it kind of went downhill for me this most recent season.... i haven't even finished it yet) speaking of... i should really watch true blood past season 1 shouldn't i. Falling into you -- so good! I know, I was the same, the beginning killed me! push through it. :) the movie warm bodies was freaking hilarious and I loved it, but haven't read the book. shatter me.... oh boy. I loved shatter me. i thought unravel me was more "eh" but good and... let's just say I started ignite me back in feb and haven't finished it yet. she uses a plot device that just made me go all wtf and i hate it. obviously i'll read it SOMETIME but GRR. (if you do read it please tell me what you think)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay awesome.That's good to know ahead of time. I did assume it would be funny but just because it's not doesn't turn me off from it. People are saying they liked it so I might just give it a shot! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sigh knowing my luck I'm going to wind up being on team "what the hell are you doing to me?!" Haha Thanks for that bit of info :)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh! Everyone keeps saying how much they love Falling into You. Sigh. I guess I just need to put on my big girl pants and finish it! Haha @ the 'different' for Fifty Shades. That totally made me giggle!! That one I will definitely watch the movie then decide later if I'm going to take the plunge. Thanks for all your input Trish!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew it! I may wait a bit, I've read A LOT of stuff that's made me cry lately and I need a break haha. Yeah see that's how I feel about TVD books too. Love the show SO MUCH but I have those books so I'm torn *Shrugs* I'm all caught up on it I dunno I guess it just didn't bother me as much? I mean yes the doppelganger thing got old but I guess once an addict always an addict haha. As for True Blood I'm not sure what to tell you. It gets weird. But I still love it? If you liked season 1 then I'd say go for it! Falling into You yes I'll just keep with my answer for If I Stay. Once I'm ready for heart smushing again it'll be right at the top of my pile. I think seeing YOU say something about Ignite Me a while back is what made me put on the breaks when it comes to starting this series. I feel like I'll probably end up feeling like you and hating it. But IF I do read them I will of COURSE tell you what I think. Thanks for your opinions!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am the same way with bad endings. They just ruin the entire series!

    ReplyDelete